Outline for Online Alpha-Theta Course
Day 1 — Three Hours with Breaks
- Instructions are provided beforehand for setting up Alpha-Theta on EEGer and BrainMaster
a. Setup, 6 Trace
b. Frequency band targets
c. Using defaults
d. Reviewing the sounds
- What is Alpha Theta training?
- What is some of the history behind Alpha Theta training?
- What is Alpha Theta training used for?
- When is the client ready for Alpha-Theta?
- Discussing Alpha-Theta in advance with clients.
- How many sessions and how often do you need to do Alpha-Theta? Do you Mix it in
with other neurofeedback vs dedicating a number of sessions to just Alpha-Theta
- How to prepare the client – often less is more. What to say, not to say.
- Using guided visualizations as part of the introduction.
- Using scripts.
- Using it with children.
- Discussion of sleep & how to tell if the client went to sleep.
- Is it helpful to precede Alpha-Theta with progressive relaxation or Heart Rate
Variability training – or just jump in?
- How long do you train the client (session time)?
- Headphones vs speakers?
- How to prepare yourself as the clinician or facilitator?
- Do you stay in the room?
- Talking with the client afterwards about their session. How did he or she do?
- How to Export Graph for review. Send graphs for second class course.
Day 2 — Three Hours with Breaks
- A brief review or research. Peniston, Gruzelier, Scott.
- Review of sessions – examining graphs.
- How to debrief/process the session with the client
- Watching for Abreactions and how to prepare for that.
- What is bad alpha?
- Review Sleep again. How to deal with clients who chronically fall asleep. How important is it?
- Why is Alpha Theta underutilized? Do we have a bias that keeps us from using it well?
- When is Alpha-Theta training contraindicated?
- Follow up discussion to scripting.
- Further discussion about finishing sessions with stabilization. Watching for delayed
- Discuss cases & more review of graphs.
- Extra Long Alpha-Theta sessions.
- Advanced – Alpha-Theta 2 channel, or Alpha-Theta Synchrony